Stuff for Kids
Learn About Water
Hi! I'm Professor Monte V. Water, the "Water-Wise" Owl! Let's learn about water! Professor Monte says, Water is Life:
- We cannot live without water, every living thing needs water to survive
- 2/3 of our body is water
- We need water to make sure our bodies are working well
- Water maintains our body temperature
- Water makes our muscles, joints and organs work properly
Professor Monte says, "Drink water for good health! Drink 8 to 10 glasses a day!"
The Wonders of Water
We use water in so many ways:
- Growing Food
- Making electricity
Where We Get Our Water
Professor Monte says, the water we use comes from:
- Rain and melting snow
- Rivers, lakes and streams
- Deep underground lakes, called aquifers
The Water Cycle
- The sun heats water on the earth into vapor that rises into the air
- The vapor cools, turns into droplets and forms clouds
- The water returns to the earth as rain or snow
- The water runs into lakes, rivers, the ocean and into the ground, where it is stored in an aquifer
At Monte Vista Water District, our wells pump water from the aquifer that is sent through pipes to homes, schools, stores, farms and factories.
Water is a precious resource in Southern California, let's not waste it! Professor Monte says conserve water:
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth!
- Tell a grown-up about leaky faucets.
- Take a shower in 5 minutes.
- Don't fill the tub when you take a bath.
- Sweep the driveway, instead of hosing it down.
- Use a bucket of water when washing the car. Use the hose for rinsing only.
Protect Water from Pollution
Professor Monte says, you can help protect water from pollution:
- Never throw trash in a lake, river, stream or on the ground
- Never pour paints or cleaners down the sink
- Never pour chemicals or waste down a storm drain
Professor Monte says, taking care of our water is everyone's responsibility.